Thursday, July 31, 2014

Lessons I've Learned


Before I leave for recruit training I'd like to share some things that I've learned along my journey before I've even gone to boot camp. Some I learned through the process, some I learned outside of it, but strongly apply. Some are big, some are small, and some are downright trivial. Some are amusing, some I think are important and want to impart on others. 


1. Always tell the truth exactly and simply, even if it is uncomfortable. 
At MEPS, one Gunnery Sergeant asked us if we understood a document we read. We all said yes, and were then grilled on it and chastised because we did not actually understand it fully, so the correct answer was NO. I took this simple lesson to heart. Sometimes we tell half truths or slightly bent truths because it seems easier than explaining the whole truth, or because we think that it's what someone wants to hear. Or we simply say yes when it's really only an 80% yes. Well 80% yes might as well be 100% no. While it might seem easier to skip hard truths, in the long run it might come back to haunt you, so just be completely truthful the first time, even if that means taking an 80% yes and simply saying no. Better to feel dumb for a couple minutes than to find out later on that you really needed that 20%. 

2. Never hold back, always give 100% effort. 
I learned this through PT, but it applies to all of life. I've never regretted the times I pushed myself to the limit and broke. Like puking after the Murphy challenge, or being unable to do even one pullup at the end of a workout. But I have regretted the times I quit before I was really done, and I've regretted not spending more time improving certain things. Sometimes things in life will be hard, even painful. But that isn't an excuse to go easy on yourself or give up. If you give 100% of everything you have and you don't make it, you at least won't have regrets. The feeling of accomplishment after doing something difficult that you didn't think you could do, is simply amazing. But you'll never have that feeling if you don't leave it all on the field. 

3. Do it faster
At the last pool function PT we had to repeat the same movement multiple times until everyone was doing it at max speed. I realized that at recruit training we will be expected to do every single thing we do with speed and intensity. But I also realized that there's really no excuse for doing anything less, ever. Speed and intensity is important at work too. Why should I casually perform a task that I can perform just as well quickly, leaving more time for other tasks and running the job more efficiently. 

4. Bearing is key
I made the mistake of grinning a little bit while being reprimanded at MEPS. I was not smiling at the reprimand, but at myself for being so dumb. Never-the-less, it got me a proper and deserved tongue lashing. It is ironic that during my time working at the teen shelter I learned to conceal my frustration or anger perfectly, but I never learned to conceal amusement. Now I'd better learn to conceal all the rest of my emotions or I'm going to get thrashed in bootcamp. 

5. Hurry up and wait! 
I said that speed and intensity is important, but from MEPS I learned that sometimes you just have to wait with speed and intensity. Don't get mad or frustrated at the situation, because it's just life and its going to happen alot. Wait patiently, but don't be that guy who zones out and doesn't notice that its his turn finally. 

6. How to shave with a regular razor
I've spent my whole life shaving with an electric shaver. Well they don't have those in boot camp, so in preparation for my departure (before I got my august 11th ship date) I finally bought a Gillette razor and some shaving cream and taught myself to shave with it. 

7. How to shave with a regular razor… without shaving cream
After a recently returned from bootcamp PFC mentioned shaving with hot water, or even with things that are not shaving cream, like hand sanitizer. I proceeded to practice shaving with just hot water. Surprisingly, I think I like it better. I always hated that messy shaving cream. 

8. Goals
Before I enlisted I had been training towards some Parkour goals. I went from zero physical activity, to being able to do intermediate parkour, simply by setting goals. As I achieved each goal I set for myself I set a new one and started training towards it. In a real sense this was the thing that drew me to the Marines over the Army. The Marines set goals and expect you to achieve them. Setting goals and achieving them through hard work is basically what the Marine Corps advertises about itself. Before parkour and the Marines I wasn't setting very many goals or trying very hard to achieve them. But without goals, without targets to strive for, we as people stagnate. We become leaves in a stream, just going where we're carried. Our nation and world is full of people like that, and sadly many of the people in the world with goals have bad, yea evil goals. The terrorists have goals, and they're willing to put out the effort and sacrifice to achieve them. I have a goal to serve my country and help defend it against those guy's goals. I also have a goal to become a chaplain and help other young military men and women. 

But below those lofty goals is another level. You can set goals in every area of your life. You don't have to become a Marine, or join the military at all to make a positive difference. You can set a goal to be a better employee at your job, to improve your physical fitness, or to spend time reading your Bible. Don't be satisfied with where you are, reach for the stars, achieve something. Make a difference in your school, church, and community. I've got a long ways to goal to achieve those goals myself. But now I know that I can achieve anything I set my mind to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment